Launch your iOS app faster with our free Swift iOS chat implementation
Learn how to build a chat app with Firebase and MessageKit! Download our free Swift iOS chat template, which has full integration with Firebase Cloud Firestore. Inspired by Facebook Messenger app, this Swift source code will help you integrate a chat into your iOS app extremely quickly, with only a few lines of code. Our extensive documentation will help you get started right away. Build a simple chat application in iOS in minutes, by leveraging our open-source iOS Chat app source code.
Running the app
- Download the source code by cloning this repository
- Download the GoogleService-Info.plist file from your Firebase Console and replace the existing file in ChatApp folder. This will connect the app to your own Firebase instance.
- If you don’t have Cocoapods already, install it by following their instructions
- Install the pods by running
- Open the xcworkspace file with the latest version of Xcode
Download our free chat app template and make it your own, by skinning the user interface as you want. Follow our detailed Messenger Clone app tutorial on how to make further customizations.
Most iOS apps need a social chat feature built in their user interface. If you’re building a social network or functionality that requires chatting (such as customer service, for instance), skip the overhead of implementing everything from scratch and just reuse our free Swift chat implementation. By using Google’s Firebase Cloud Firestore to store and retrieve all the messages, you’re also saving a lot of work that needs to be done on your own servers. An insane amount of work! Plus, it comes with bulletproof security, provided by Google itself. Huge shout out to MessageKit contributors, who made this easier for us!
Interested in making your own native iOS app? See if you can skip the first 1000 hours of work with one of our beautiful iOS app templates.